This page is designed to give an overview of the resources available on this site. We try and make as much available for downloading as our bandwidth allows, but the thrust of the site is to provide advice and guidance.
- A searchable index of Midland Railway Staff which is being regularly expanded - Staff Index
- A list of some of the specific staff records we have - Staff Records
- The Midland Railway Locomotive and Carriage Department Staff List 1864 - Staff List
- An illustrated paper authored by Glynn Waite which helps the reader interpret Midland Railway Staff Records -
Understanding Staff Records
- The life and Times of Newton Hibbert - Newton Hibbert
- The Whitaker family photograph album - Whitaker album
- Details of the RAIL491 series of staff records held by the National Archives - RAIL491
- Some of the more interesting tales contained within the Ben Taylor Collection of Derby "Four Shed" Staff Records.
- A list of people to whom the “Grass Rights” were granted at Settle in 1906 - Grass Rights
- The memoirs of J.A.HICKMOTT who worked on the Midland Railway from 1905 serving at Bitton, Clifton Down, Nailsworth, Fishponds, Montpelier (1914), Tewkesbury and, in 1916, moved to Defford where he stayed for 31 years. He assisted at Evesham for a short time and, in 1947, went back to Tewkesbury as chief clerk in the Goods Office and retired in December 1949 - "My Memoirs"
- Sample images from the Engineer's Department ledger (Item No. RFB28524). - Engineer's Ledger
- A review of the Coal Traders ledger acquired in 2012 - Coal Traders
- An information leaflet about Ambulance work within the Midland Railway - Ambulance Organisation
First World War
- A page providing an overview of the resources we have in respect of the First World War - Great War
- A list of the men of the Midland Railway who went to war in 1914 (fully searchable) - For King and Country
- Resources in the Study Centre for Loco Historians - Loco Historians
- A description of the Shelford Archive - Shelford Archive
Carriage & Wagon
- For modellers or Carriage & Wagon restorers, a searchable resource of the Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Register, the Lots & Diagrams Register and the detailed version of the Study Centre's catalogue of Carriage & Wagon drawings - Carriage & Wagon Database
- Andy Boothman has written a page detailing the Study Centre's collection of drawings from Litchurch Lane - Carriage & Wagon
- Some of the more popular drawings from our Carriage & Wagon collection available for download.
- Signalling plans contained in our collection - Signalling Plans
- An outline of the Pat Larkam and 'Dunbar' collections of MR signalling material - Larkam and Dunbar
- A list of the Signalling Notices that we have - Signalling Notices
- Material from our collection relating to companies other than the Midland - Other Companies
- An Introduction to the Study Centre - About
- How to use the Study Centre, with opening dates - How
- Other ways we can help you research the Midland Railway - Help
- Searching the catalogue of the Midland Railway Study Centre - Catalogue
- Details of how the Categories are defined - Qualifiers
- A list of the Architectural Plans in the collection - Architectural
- The catalogue for the Estate Agent plan collection.
- A description of the contents of the Midland Railway Study Centre - Contents
- The Midland Railway Society Library and railway books of Derby Museums - Library
- The 'red tape' associated with visiting us - Conditions
- How to find the Midland Railway Study Centre - Directions
- What's been happening lately at the Midland Railway Study Centre - News
- A regularly updated page with our new additions, with some downloadable examples - Additions
- Details of the Partners In Excellence initiative with the National Railway Museum - Partners in Excellence
- A small sub-site dedicated to the Model Railway located in the Silk Mill Museums - Model Railway
If you can't find what you're looking for, please feel free to get in touch. Contact details are located at the bottom of every page.